Because you store the feta in a brine solution, it is easy to over salt it. If you find that it is too salty, you can simply put the feta in some milk. The milk will draw out the salt and make it more palatable.
Don’t be tempted to throw it out. You can reduce the salt content of your Feta following these instructions:
- Rinse the amount of Feta you want to use under water and then allow to drain
- Put your Feta into a container that is big enough for the cheese plus another 25% room for liquid
- Add fresh milk until it covers the cheese and put the lid on
- Leave for 1-2 days – the milk will draw out some of the salt from the Feta over this period
- Check the salt levels and if when you test the Feta it is still too salty, pour out the milk and then refill, leaving it for another 1-2 days before testing again.
Also note, you don't have to leave your feta in the brine as long, when it is salty enough for your liking, just take it out and store it in a sealed container or wrap in cling film.
However, you may find that it doesn't last as long when it is stored out of the brine.