For a 12% brine solution:
Usually required for fresh cheeses such as feta.
- Make 2 cups of brine by diluting 60 g (2 oz) of salt in 2 cups (500 ml) of boiled water
- Add 1/2 tsp of vinegar to adjust pH
Recipe for Saturated 25% Brine solution:
Many hard cheeses must also be soaked in a brine solution after they have been pressed. This adds flavour, preserves the cheese and also draws out some additional moisture.
- Bring 1.5 L (1.5 qt) of water to the boil before stirring in 375 g (13.2 oz) of
- Once cool, stir in 1.5 tsp of white vinegar to balance the pH.
- Always brine your cheese with the brine and cheese at room temperature.
- Brine can be kept and reused, just boil and allow to cool before reusing.